Tips for Travellers

Visas and Permits

Your agent will be able to tell you what kind of permits you will need to enter Canada and study for a period of time. You may need a visa to enter and will definitely require a study permit. It is not recommended to book your flights until you have these documents. You will be asked to show all travel documents when you arrive at your first point of entry in Canada. Make sure you take these documents with you whenever you travel, either within Canada o to the US.

It is a good idea to make a photocopy of your travel documents (passport, visa, study permit) and keep them in a safe place. 

What to pack

The weather in Canada may be quite different than in your home country. Canada has cold winters and hot summers, so bring appropriate clothing for the seasons you will be staying. In winter, if you plan on participating in outdoor sports, you will need specialized warm clothing which you can purchase after arrival. Depending on where in Canada you will be staying, the weather can be quite changeable so be sure to bring clothes you can layer one over the other. 

Check the electrical voltage since this also may be different in Canada than your country. 

Electrical outlets in Canada supply electricity at between 110 and 120 volts AC. If you're plugging in an appliance that is compatible with multiple voltages, then an adapter is all you will need.

Don’t forget you will be in Canada for quite a while, so bring personal items that are significant to you. Anything you would normally want to have near you when you are at home will make you feel more comfortable, especially at the beginning of your stay.