MLI Homestay is looking for host families in KEMPTVILLE to welcome international students into their homes
International Students are currently allowed to enter Canada by meeting important criteria:
Experience the joy of hosting!
WHY BECOME A HOMESTAY FAMILY?
Your family will be able to participate in an unforgettable experience by becoming a host family
International students are looking forward to experiencing life in Canada and being welcomed into your home. During their stay, host families are asked to provide:
- A warm, caring environment
- An English only (for ESL students) or French only (for FSL students) environment
- A comfortable private bedroom. In some cases 2 students from the same program will be allowed to stay in the same room if 2 beds are available
- 3 nutritious meals a day and healthy snacks
- Support and guidance for the student as they get used to the community
- Access to a washroom and laundry facilities
- An invitation to join in the family life and daily activities
HOW TO BECOME A HOMESTAY FAMILY?
The Application Process
MLI Homestay takes time to get to know you and your family so that we can be sure that our host families and visitors are receiving the highest level of support and service.
Once your online application has been received, a representative of MLI Homestay will review the details and be in contact with you to verify the details and ensure that any missing information is completed.
|We will ask for two references to be listed on your application form. We will contact these two references to discuss the program and listen to their reasons for recommending you to become an MLI Host Family.|
|We will contact you to set up an appointment to visit your family at home. At this time we will discuss the requirements of the host family and the expectations of the visitor who will be staying in your home. You will have a chance to learn more about MLI Homestay, our services, and our staff. We will share the Host Family Agreement with you and review the details before asking you to sign your agreement. You will receive a welcome package that includes a Guide to Hosting. We will be taking some pictures so that we will be able to include photos of your home and family in the Host Family Profile that is provided to your guest. We will also complete a Home Inspection and Safety Checklist to ensure that your home meets the safety requirements for hosting a guest.|
CRIMINAL RECORDS CHECK
To complete your application we will also require a Criminal Records Check for all members of your household who are 18 years or over. The Criminal Record Check can be done at your local police station. You may be required to pay a fee of up to $50 per person for this documentation. The online option can be completed via a link that will be sent to you from your MLI Homestay Coordinator and a fee of approximately $30 per person will apply. If you have already obtained a Criminal Records Check for employment and the check is currently with your employer, a copy of that document or a letter from your supervisor confirming the status of the check will suffice. All Criminal Records Checks must have been completed within the last three years.
|Your information will be updated in our database and our team will work on matching you with an international visitor that has chosen to visit/study in your community. When the right visitor’s profile comes along you will be contacted by the Local Coordinator, matched, and receive a profile of your guest prior to their arrival.|
|We will invite your family to an orientation session in your area to help prepare for the guest’s arrival.|
|MLI Homestay will provide compensation to the family for hosting once the guest has arrived.|
|MLI Homestay will keep in touch with you throughout your guest’s stay to ensure you have all the support you need. We offer 24/7 support for our guests and host families. You will be invited to join the MLI Homestay Community via our Social Media to interact with other host families, receive tips on hosting and share your heart-warming stories.|
Where are homestays needed?
MLI Homestay is always interested in meeting new hosts in communities across Canada and offers the opportunity to welcome visitors that come for short and long-term programmes. Learn more.
About the 2021/22 School Year
Now as much as ever, international study programs are vital to local communities and highly beneficial to students, host families and global relations. Canada has a long history of enriching our communities with International Student Programs.
Since the pandemic began, MLI has proven its ability to safely operate its high school program and has not had a single student bring COVID-19 into Canada.
Our success stems from:
MLI ensures its students arrive at their host homes Covid-free.
Our current safety protocol is as follows:
- Students must take a covid test within 72 hours of departing for Canada and must present a negative test result to be permitted to board the aircraft
- Upon arrival in Canada, students are tested again
- Students immediately begin a 14-day self-isolation period in a supervised setting
- On day 8 students take a third Covid test
- Upon receiving a negative test result from the third Covid test, and after completion of the 14-day Quarantine, students are then moved to their host family via private shuttle.
For students interested in receiving the Covid-19 vaccine while in Canada, MLI supports them however necessary (with consent from natural parents).
Our top priority is the safety of students, families and our communities. The students MLI places in homestays are committed to respecting the rules – COVID-related and otherwise, at home and in the community.
International students are keenly aware of their good fortune to study in Canada. Studying in Canada is a dream come true for many teenagers around the world looking to enrich their future potential.
International learning programs inject positive investments in our communities that continue to pay off long term.
- Our eager, young students bring with them an infectious enthusiasm for Canada that can truly lift spirits across a community during these trying times
- They give us each the global opportunity to learn about other cultures and perspectives, including how much we may have in common; this is especially valuable now as our own opportunities for travel are limited
- Diversifying our student populations enhances our own children’s education and can breed lifelong global connections for them
- Hosting international study programs enables schools to make investments for the benefit of our children, too
- Graciously welcoming these promising international students can support local tourism and put small communities on the map for future visitors to Canada
MLI is a veteran, trusted provider of homestays in Canada for international students for more than 25 years. We have built strong partnerships with many school boards and schools, each monitored by provincial Ministries of Education.
MLI is always eager to meet new, enthusiastic families to host our international high school students. Our Homestay hosts’ expenses are more than covered by MLI.
We are booking hosts now for students arriving in September 2021. Help us extend a warm welcome to international students and become a homestay family.
Experience the joy of hosting.
If you require more information, please fill in the form below and we will be in contact with you shortly.
- Where do guests come from?
- Can I host if I am single - a single-parent or retired couple?
- Do guests require their own bedroom?
- Do guests require their own washrooms?
- Are host families paid or compensated?
- Do we have to host for the whole program length?
- What if we encounter challenges with hosting a guest?
- I am planning to host another student, we have a new pet, our email or telephone number has changed...
MLI Homestay welcomes guests from across Europe, Latin America, and Asia.
MLI Homestay is a network of host families that are culturally diverse, come in all shapes and sizes, and come from all walks of life. What they all share in common is their love of the hosting experience and their dedication to providing a home away from home for their guests.
Yes, guests must have a private room, bed, dresser or closet and desk (for students).
In the case of a double placement where guests are booking a homestay through a group program, two guests of the same gender may share a room if they are each provided their own bed.
No, guests are not expecting to have a private washroom.
Yes, host families are compensated to help alleviate the expenses associated with having an extra person in the home. Hosting is not meant to be a business, but rather a choice to participate in a rewarding experience for the whole family.
Yes, we would ask that families commit to hosting for the duration of the program. As programs vary in length, you will be notified of the duration when you are approached to see if you are interested in hosting a particular program or guest.
We do understand that family situations can change and are there to support you and the guest if something unexpected happens and you request to stop hosting. The MLI Local Coordinator is your main contact to discuss any issues or changes and will help you to reach a solution.
We are committed to making sure that our guests and host families are able to get the most out of this experience. If you encounter challenges, we invite you to discuss them with your Local Coordinator or Homestay Team at head office. In our experience, there are many opportunities for clearing up miscommunications, mediating small concerns and communicating expectations within the first few days of hosting that will end up leading to a great experience together. There is an experienced team here at MLI Homestay that is ready to guide and support you, whether you are a first-time host or an experienced host family.
I am planning to host another student, we have a new pet, our email or telephone number has changed...
It is very important that MLI Homestay has the most up-to-date information on host families who are currently hosting or confirmed to host a guest in the near future. Please contact the Local Coordinator to provide up-to-date information on any changes to your home and family immediately.