MLI Homestay - Your homestay choice at the Durham Catholic District School Board.
Why choose MLI Homestay?
Homestay is an integral part of the student traveler’s experience. At MLI Homestay we understand that a caring homestay is the cornerstone of ensuring a positive student experience in the Durham Catholic District School Board.
- Screening: Our stringent screening process for family selection and monitoring ensures that the homes are safe and friendly and that the families are hosting students for the right reasons (e.g. they are excited to share their family with an international visitor and are looking to learn from that experience).
- 24 hour emergency support: We provide this support to our clients, students and hosts across Canada.
- Our families: We consider our families as our clients too. Our team takes care to interact with hosts regularly to support them as they support the students.
In short, MLI Homestay gives you the quality you need with the customer service you require. We are always available and understand that the hosting experience is 24 hours a day and 7 days a week until the student leaves the program. We are there to support the students and the families.
Homestay Selection Criteria
MLI Homestay Hosts reflect the diversity of Canada’s multi-cultural and multi-ethnic population. Homestay hosts may include single parent homes, retired couples, single mature women, or families with children - provided they meet the hosting criteria.
A stringent criteria of a host a family is their ability to provide a clean, safe and nurturing home environment to all our students. The style of homes in each community may vary. Bathrooms (Washrooms) include a toilet, sink, shower or bathtub/shower combination. This is typically shared by family members. Students should not expect a private bathroom, and must respect this as shared space.
Homestay Placement & Services include:
- Placement with a suitable Host Family within 45 minutes of transit to the school.
- 24 hours emergency support for families and students.
- Regular monitoring of host family and student progress.
- Conflict resolution including the submitting of Incident Reports as needed.
- Organization of airport transfers as required.
Custodianship Services include:
- MLI Preparation of notarized IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) documents to be used for Study Permit and Visa application.
- Orientation with the student at the beginning of stay in Canada.
- In person check in with student twice per semester for Student Monitoring Report.
- Communication with agents regarding student progress on a monthly basis.
- Support of student for academics, host family, cultural settlement issues, etc. as needed.
- 24-hour emergency contact.
2020 School Year Fees - Canadian Dollars
Placement Fee - Academic Year Program (Non-refundable)
Individual students enrolled in Academic Year, semester or partial semester stay
Placement Fee - Academic Year Program Extensions (Non-refundable)
Applies to extensions of programs or continuation of studies into next academic year
Change of Homestay Fee - (Non-refundable)
Requested by student for no fault of family
Monthly Homestay Fee – One Full Academic Year
Includes monitoring and host family payment.
Partial stays are pro-rated at $ 4,875.00 per semester or $ 975.00 per month
Additional Night $ 43.00
Elementary Students - up to grade 8 - are charged an additional $ 100.00 per month.
Custodianship – One Full Academic Year (First month non-refundable)
Partial stays are pro-rated at $ 662.50 per semester or $ 150 per month
One-way transfer between airport and community by shuttle service or host family arranged by MLI. (Arrivals & Departures are expected to be between 7:00am & 11:59 pm. Additional charges may apply if it is outside the given time)
Important details about fees
- All fees are listed in Canadian Dollars.
- Fees will increase at a standard rate per year and fee schedules will be made available to School/Client before the close of the previous calendar year.
- Academic Year is 10 months from September 1 to June 30. Students are able to stay in homestays during the summer and will be charged a monthly rate. The amount may increase if the student is not in school full time. Please inquire for a rate. A separate invoice will be issued for summer stays. Storage of a student’s luggage or belongings can also be arranged over the summer for returning students for a minimum fee of $ 100/month.
- A deposit of $ 1,700.00 (placement fee + Custodianship fee) is required at time of application to begin processing the custodian paperwork. MLI provides one host family profile based on the information provided in the application.
- MLI does not provide homestay accommodation or custodian services separately.
- Bank/wire fees are not included and are the responsibility of the sender.
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org