What Personal Information do we collect?
Canadian privacy legislation defines “personal information” broadly as information about an identifiable individual or as information that allows an individual to be identified, but does not include the name, title or business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization. For the purposes of this policy, “Personal Information” means information about an identifiable individual as defined from time to time in applicable federal and provincial privacy legislation.
For example, your Personal Information includes information that relates to your educational history, academic transcripts, personal profiles, gender, ethnic origin, nationality, languages spoken, information contained in your application for our programs or your study permit or visa, an unlisted address or phone number, an identifying number, among others. However, some Personal Information that is otherwise publicly available in not protected by applicable privacy laws.
Why do we collect your Personal Information?
In general, MLI Homestay collects, uses and discloses Personal Information about our clients, host families and partners in order to provide our clients with the various adult and youth educational programs, language learning, tutoring, summer camps and tours we have developed and operate. MLI Homestay does not sell Personal Information to any third parties.
More specifically, we collect, use and disclose Personal Information for the following purposes:
- to assist you with your application for any of our programs, including obtaining the necessary legal guardianship, study permits, immigration and Visa approvals;
- to evaluate you for placement in, and assist with registration and enrolment with MLI Homestay affiliated public and private high schools in Canada;
- to develop, enhance, market, sell, administer or otherwise provide MLI Homestay’s services;
- to distribute our newsletters, information and other materials to individuals on our mail and e-mail lists;
- as permitted by, and to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements or provisions; and for any other purpose to which you consent
To whom do we disclose your Personal Information?
From time to time, MLI Homestay may disclose your Personal Information to:
- clients requesting homestay placement, schools and school administrators, consulates and government agencies, agents, residential providers and homestay families, and service providers, including organizations or individuals retained by MLI Homestay to perform functions on its behalf;
- a person who, in the reasonable judgment of MLI Homestay, is providing or seeking the information as your agent; or
- any third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law.
Where do we store your Personal Information?
Your Personal Information is stored in secured locations and on servers controlled by MLI Homestay, located either at our offices or at the offices of our service providers.
How may you obtain access to your Personal Information?
How do we protect your Personal Information?
To help protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information, MLI Homestay employs administrative and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your Personal Information. For instance, we operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems.
Retention of Personal Information
We retain personal information in our records for as long as necessary to fulfill the intended purposes or a legal or business purpose.
Privacy and our Website
In order to provide our website visitors with information, visitors may voluntarily submit Personal Information to us for purposes such as asking a question or obtaining information. You should be aware that e-mail is not a 100% secure medium, and you should be aware of this when contacting us to send personal or confidential information.
The only personal information MLI Homestay collects via the website is the information voluntarily supplied by you if you contact MLI Homestay via the Website.